Monday, April 16, 2012

Scottish shortbread - a very easy recipe


When I visited Scotland last year, I ate a lot of shorbread there. And since then I wanted to try to bake them by myself. It didn't happen until recently, when I got a new Jamie Oliver cookbook about Great Britain. The recipe for shortbread there was really easy and only few ingredients were needed; the kind of ingredients one only has at home! So it is the recipe which inspired this one. There is very few modification to what's in the book. It came out to be really good, but I know I can still improve from there. And I will try again! because I love Scottish shortbreads.

 Ingredients


- 200g flour
- 50g caster sugar; plus extra for sprinkling over
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract

Directions


Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius.
 Mix the flour and sugar together. 

 Rub in the butter with your thumb and forefinger,

 then add the vanilla extract and squash, pat and push it into a dough.

 Form a ball and then roll it until it's 1cm thick (add a little bit of flour on top if it's sticky)

 Cut small finger shapes so that it looks like that. And put them on a baking sheet.

 Sprinkle over some sugar and put in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
It's ready when it has a lovely golden colour. 
Leave it to cool down before eating.

 It's perfect with a cup of tea!

And if you have some left, put them in an iron box. 

6 comments:

  1. I do have a weakness for shortbread! You post is putting me in the mode of wanting to have high tea and high tea is nothing without shortbread. Your cookies here are very tempting, wish they were at my house instead of yours. Simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just is soooo good ! ANd yours was even more than good =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds simple but effective - nothing beats buttery shortbread :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. These do look tasty. I do have a weakness for shortbread. It has been awhile since I have made these, so this is a delicious reminder. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shortbread is a big return on investment type of thing. I am always amazed at how delicious something with so few ingredients can be

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love shortbread, those look really good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...